Restore A Classic Car Or Build A Hot Rod
The best reason that I can think of is that you love the car you want to restore or hot rod it.
Because it reminds you of a better more simple time in your life.
When life was all about you and your friends, and those certain cars that you all had.
A car is a powerful reminder of certain events and times in your life.
Because you met your wife and took her on your first date in that car.
You had some of the best times in your life while driving that particular car.
Classic car restoration is a big project and you need to be ready for it.
Don’t get caught up in the moment and have bad things happen.
If you plan to restore the car by yourself and have a shop do only the work you can’t do yourself.
You need a solid plan of action.
Here Is The List
- Decide exactly what you want the car to be when it’s finished, do you want a daily driver or a show car, while they are the same car the project changes quite significantly for a show car.
- Decide if you want custom touches like paint, interior, engine or mechanical. These add more time and money to the project.
- After you have decided on the number (2) you can start to plan a parts list. You need to think about what parts can be fixed and what needs to be replaced if you’d like to customize the car you need to think about what parts you will need to complete that process.
- Think about the timeline, the faster you want the car done the more money that you will be spending on the project if a shop does the work
- Most shops don’t like being made to do things fast, and you should keep that in mind.
- The plan needs to encompass time, parts and labor and supplies.
- Make sure that you look at all of the chrome and stainless trim on the car and decide what needs to be replaced and what can be fixed.
- If you need to have stainless trim fixed to make sure that you locate a place that can do it, these places are getting harder to find, and some trim cannot be replaced especially if the car is a low production model.
Most importantly you need to make sure that you don’t miss anything when you inspect the car.
How through you are is key to the project getting completed the way that you envision it.
If you want to restore a car for resale. don’t It will take more for restoration than you think.
This is because no matter how good you plan you can’t see the future.
Most importantly you should sell the car as is.
If you are planning to resell the car.
You need to buy a car that has very little work to do on it.
Only farm out the work that you absolutely have to to get the job done.
The more you do yourself the better off you will be.
Be certain if you intend to resell the car that it will sell for enough to cover your parts and labor.
Most importantly generate a profit for you. Because you are looking to make money.
You will lose on some projects for resale that is just the nature of the game, but you can win on most of them.