In this article, I will give you some hints and tips to make your first classic car restoration a screaming success.
There are some things that you need to know before you decide to restore a classic car.
They may be common sense but it seems that a lot of people don’t follow them.
You should start with a cat that is easy to get parts for and a popular car that a lot of people are restoring.
if parts are easy to get this helps you to complete the project with less stress.
The whole idea of classic car restoration is to have fun and the easier it is to restore the more fun you will have the first time you do it.
Beyond the car, you decide to buy you should make sure that the project isn’t above your skillset.
What I mean here is that if you are not an expert body repairman you should not choose a car with
Flintstones floorboards and no quarter panels left.
The days of a good car for $2,000 or $2,500 are over.
You should plan to spend no less than $10,000 on a classic car to restore even at this price you need to be careful.
I have seen people pushing cars for this price that are still not that good of a platform to start with.
Things To Look For
- Always look for the least amount of rust possible.
- Stick with a Camaro, Mustang, Chevelle or another common muscle car
- Pay close attention to the work that needs to be done, make sure that between you and people you know that you can do most of the work.
- Have a shop that you can trust to do the work that you don’t know how to do.
- Remember just because you are a good mechanic does not mean that you know body repair, electrical and interior work.
- Evaluate your skills and keep in within your skillset as much as possible.
Therefore as I said above a restoration project is supposed to be fun.
If you make it too difficult to complete is will kill some the fun that you can have.
Don’t get me wrong things will go wrong and that is something that you should plan for.
But the smoother the project goes the more you will enjoy it and the more fun it will be.
Do your research and know what it should take to complete the project.
Know how hard parts are to find and get a good idea of what you will rebuild on the car and what you can replace.
The better prepared you are the more fun you will have.
You should aim for a finished product that is steeped in quality and very impressive.